« Stop doing IRC Servers »
- Almost 50 years and still no practical use for self hosted chat solutions.
- “Yes my jabber server is at DocOck917.com.us, please register an account to talk to me”
- “Please send me a message on WhosOn when you’ve finished compiling the PowerPoint 95 documents for me”
- “Yes let me bust out kvIRC and register my nick on your irc server that you and two friends use” - statements dreamed up by the utterly deranged
- “Here is your encrypted and secure E2E fully encrypted in transit and at rest chat solution with synchronization across your devices using your own keys, which is interoperable with SMS and Jabber and open-source.”
- “No I would prefer to maintain local ledgers at each client that fragment my message history" - nobody in the history of personal computing.
Look at what self hosted chat enthusiasts have been doing with the servers we gave them (These are REAL IRC chatrooms, made by REAL internet nerds):“Yes my icq handle is (っ◔◡◔)っ ♥ hotSexysingleMama1979 ♥”