Born 12 Feb 1583 in Canterbury, Kent, England.
Died before 12 Aug 1627 at age 44 in Groll, Gelderland, Nederland.
- Son of William Lovelace VI and Elizabeth (Aucher) Lovelace
- Brother of Elizabeth Lovelace [half], Richard Lovelace, Mabel Lovelace and Thomas Lovelace [half]
- Husband of Anne (Barne) Browne — married 1610 in London, England
- Father of Anne (Lovelace) Gorsuch, Richard Lovelace Esq., Thomas Lovelace, Francis Lovelace, Joane Lovelace, William Lovelace, Elizabeth Lovelace and Dudley Lovelace.
Sir William Lovelace, Knight, of Bethersden and Woolwich, Kent, was baptized at St. Alphage’s Canterbury, Kent, 12 February 1583/4.
Sir William was a member of the Virginia Company and was named to the second and third charters.
He was a soldier by profession and died at the siege of Groll in the Netherlands 12 August 1627.
He left a will dated 15 July 1622, proved 23 June 1628, by which he bequeathed all his stock in the East India company to his daughter Anne.
He married about 1610, Anne Barne, daughter of Sir William Barne of Woolwich, Kent, England. They had five sons:
- Richard (the poet)
- Thomas, of Staten Island
- Francis Lovelace of Virginia, later Governor of New York
- Dudley, of New York
and three daughters:
- Anne, wife of Rev John Gorsuch
- Joan, wife of Robert Caesar
- Elizabeth, wife of Daniel Hayne
Sir William Lovelace is buried at Canterbury Cathedral in Canterbury, Kent, England. Notes on Memorial: BOOK, MAGNA CHARTA FAMILIES OF ROYAL DESCENT by John S. Wurts, Part VI, p. 1859. Sir William Lovelace pf Woolwich, baptized in 1583, killed at the Siege of Grolle in 1627. Married Anne Barne.
Name: Sir William V Lovelace; Given Name: Sir William; Surname: Lovelace; Sex: M; Birth: Bef 12 Feb 1583/84 in Canterbury, Woolwich, Kent, England; Death: 12 Aug 1627 in Slain at the siege of the Burse or the Groll, Holland; Baptism: 12 Feb 1583/84 St. Alphege, Canterbury, England
- Royal Ancestry: A Study in Colonial and Medieval Families
- Lovelace, Sir William II – A5005; baptized 12 February 1583/4 Canterbury, England, died 12 August 1627 Holland (Member of Virginia Company). accessed 2 October 2021
- Richardson, Royal Ancestry (2013) Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry: A Study in Colonial and Medieval Families, 5 vols., ed. Kimball G. Everingham, (Salt Lake City, Utah: the author, 2013), volume III, page 634, Sir William Lovelace.
- Richardson, Douglas: Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd edn. (2011), 4 vols, Volume 3, page 52, LOVELACE 16.